Open webinar on November 27, 2020, 16:00 – 20:30 (CET)
One year after the Outsport project conclusion, AICS presents Sport and Equality in Europe, the international webinar to analyze the Outsport project follow-up recommendations and to promote an open discussion about the latest progress in EU policies related to Sport and LGBTI issues.
This past year saw significant steps taken by international policy makers and the the Outsport outcomes have been welcomed with a letter from the European Equality and Union Citizenship Directorate on July 1st.
On November 29th, 2019, the Steering Committee for Human Rights of the Council of Europe enlightened important practices related to the sport sector and the LGBTI issues in the CM/Rec(2010)5 report.
In June 2020, the Council of the European Union adopted the Conclusion Empowering coaches by enhancing opportunities to acquire skills and competence, which recognizes the social role of coaches and the need for specific training in the field of social inclusion.
Furthermore, on November 12th, 2020, the European Commission adopted the first European LGBTIQ strategy, where media, sport and culture have been expressly defined as “powerful tools changing attitudes and challenging gender biases and other stereotypes”.
On the sport policy side, mentions on SOGI issues are expected to be included in the upcoming EU Work Plan for Sport (2021-2024) to be published by the end of 2020.
How can these policies be implemented at both national, regional and local level? What should Member States do to address these recommendations? How can NGOs, activists and grassroots sport organizations contribute?
Keynote speeches by Guglielmo di Cola, member of the Cabinet of the European Commissioner for Sport Mariya Gabriel, and Monica Cirinnà, Italian member of the Senate will open Sport and Equality in Europe. After the presentation of the Outsport outcomes and their follow-up process, a first panel will offer a special focus on the opportunities provided by the new policies with the representatives of the Head of SOGI Unit of the Council of Europe, Eleni Tsetsekou, and the Head of the Sport Unit of the European Commission, Yves Le Losteque.
A second panel with international guests and a roundtable dedicated to NGOs will follow, featuring a final session involving activities and sport clubs and a Q&A session with the audience.
16:00 – Welcome Webinar
- Opening by Rosario Coco, AICS Outsport Coordinator, and Klaus Heusslein, Outsport Events Manager
- Introduction by Guglielmo di Cola, member of cabinet of Mariya Gabriel, European Commissioner responsible for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth
- Greetings from Monica Cirinnà, Member of the Italian Senate
16:15 – 16:40 – Contribution: Presentation of the Outsport Outcomes: the Research and the Outsport Toolkit.
- Results of the Outsport Research carried out by the German Sport University Cologne.
Presenter: Ilse Hartmann Tews (DSHS Institute of Sociology and Gender Studies)
- A practical tool for educators and PE teachers using Non-formal Education Through Sport (ETS) with a particular focus on Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation.
Presenter: László Földi (ETS expert) Moderator: Andrea Giuliano
16:40 – 17:30 – Panel 1 – The Status of Art and the Upcoming EU Policies in the Field of Sport and Equality.
- Eleni Tsetsekou, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) Unit Anti-Discrimination Department Council of Europe
- Yves Le Losteque, Head of the Sport Unit of the EU Commission
- Moderators: Rosario Coco, Hugh Torrence
17:30 – 18:00 – Panel 2 – EU and US: Approaches towards LGBTIQ Topics in Sport
- Cyd Zeigler – Outsports US
- Luisa Rizzitelli – Assist (Associazione Italiana Atlete)
- Moderator: Rosario Coco
18:00 – 19:00 – Roundtable – The Role of NGOs and Sport Organizations for LGBTIQ Inclusion and EU Policies Implementation
- Hugh Torrence – EGLSF (European Gay and Lesbian Sport Federation)
- Emy Ritt – FGG former Co-President Paris 2018 Director of Int. Affairs
- Esther Jones Russell – Representative of Fare Network
- Lou Englefield – Representative of PrideSport UK
- Markus Pinter – VIDC (Vienna Institute for dialogue and cooperation)
- Gabriella Bascelli – European Multisport Club Association (EMCA)
- Moderator: Klaus Heusslein
19:00 – 19:30 – Contributions from decision makers, activists and sport clubs: practices, lessons learned
- Antonello Sannino – Pochos Napoli
- Livan Soto Gonzales – Diversport Torremolinos
- Martin Martinez Munoz – SeitenWechsel-berlin
- Jelena Celebic – FemSlam LTB Football
- Moderator: Rosario Coco
19:30 – 20:30 – Question & Answer session open to participation by the audience
Moderator: Andrea Giuliano