We are pleased to announce the European networking conference in the course of the European Union project “Football for Equality – Tackling racism and homophobia with a focus and Central- and Eastern Europe”.
+++SAVE THE DATE! Football for Equality Conference, 26-28 April 2013, Bratislava +++
The conference will focus on the question of cross-sectional approaches towards discrimination: How can racism, homophobia, nationalism or sexism in sports be tackled jointly? We want to share ideas, concepts and good practice and connect initiatives and activities in the field. According to Audre Lorde, who describe herself as a black lesbian feminist mother poet warrior, “there is no such thing as single-issue struggle, because we don’t live single-issue lives”!
We would like to invite grass roots activists and policy makers, active sports people, football fans and clubs, students and researchers as well as NGOs and initiatives who are active in the field of human rights and antidiscrimination. Also various stakeholders of the football community and journalists will be part of the gathering.
- CONFERENCE DATE: Friday, 26 April (start at 18:00 hrs) to Sunday, 28 April 2013 (closing at 13:30 hrs)
- VENUE: Bratislava, Slovak Republic, Austria Trend Hotel (http://www.austria-trend.at/hotel-bratislava/en/)
- HOW TO TAKE PART: The joint organizers Lúdia Proti Rasizmu and FairPlay-VIDC will launch on 4 March a call for participation. Interested organisations and individuals can apply for registration and will be notified until 22 March.
- ESSAY COMPETITION: If you want to contribute to the conference as a panel speaker, you can still take part in an open essay competition. Download the call for essays here. The deadline for applications has been extended to Thursday, 21 February 2013.
- LANGUAGE: English and Slovak (simultaneous translation)
There is no conference fee! Food and accommodation will be provided by the organisers. Participants are asked to cover their own travel costs (flight or trains tickets, local transport etc.). It is foreseen that a limited number of grass-root groups and activists without funding may apply for a contribution to their travel costs.
The call for participation including a registration form and the detailed conference programme will be available here from 4 March 2013.
So, save the date and do not hesitate to get in contact with us! Watch out upcoming news on our website and the forthcoming announcement in March.
We are looking forward to seeing you!
Michal and Nikola for the Football for Equality project team
Local organizer: Michal Zalesak, Lúdia Proti Rasizmu (Slovakia), zalesak.michal[at]gmail.com
Football for Equality project coordination: Nikola Staritz, FairPlay-VIDC (Austria), staritz[at]vidc.org